[Mesa-dev] Seeking advice on implementing KHR_no_error

Thomas Helland thomashelland90 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:54:19 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm sitting here looking for something usefull to do on mesa in my spare time.
I've considered implementing some optimization passes, or finding some overhead
that I can have a shot at reducing, like the huge amount of
malloc/alloc/free calls.
However, I've found that this is hard when I have only 2-hour bursts
to work on it.
It quickly becomes a case where more time is spent catching up than
implementing.

I've looked at the KHR_no_error extension. It looks like a usefull one.
However, I don't know if it is used by any applications as of yet.
It also looks like it can be implemented piecewise, as it allows errors to be
submitted by the driver even if the extension is enabled.
So one can track down each error-checking codepath one by one.
As far as I've understood, _mesa_glsl_error is (one of) the function(s) used to
report errors, and glsl_parser_extras.cpp is where a lot of the error
checking happens?
Apart from that it's basically a case of looking at a patch series implementing
some other fairly trivial extension to get an idea of what needs changing apart
from the functionality of the extension itself.

I haven't investigated to much into this yet, as I wanted to air the suggestion.
Do you guys think this is a usefull extension, and one that is beneficial?
If anyone has any suggestions for other small tasks, feel free to share them.

Holiday greetings,
Thomas