[Mesa-dev] building with -Wshadow

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Wed Feb 10 18:48:49 UTC 2016

On 02/09/2016 08:43 PM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> I was just messing with warning flags on virglrenderer and noticed
> -Wshadow generated a fair few warnings with gallium, so I did a mesa
> build with -Wshadow enabled and it was fairly messy,
>
> do we care? there could be bugs hiding in -Wshadow land.

I have mixed feelings about -Wshadow.  In principle, it's a good warning
to use, and it can catch real bugs.  However, thanks to standard library
functions with jackass names like "index", the signal-to-noise ratio
chases even me away. :(

I'm more than happy to review patches that fix -Wshadow issues, but,
unless the noise of old has been solved, I probably won't build with it
on a regular basis.