[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Shall we have mesa-maintainers ? (Was Re: Mesa (master): Revert "egl: Check if API is supported when using eglBindAPI.")

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 10:46:37 UTC 2016

Hi Laurent,

On 6 June 2016 at 10:25, Laurent Carlier <lordheavym at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 06/06/2016 à 11:19, Emil Velikov a écrit :
>> Fully agree behind that one.
>>
>> On the overall topic here is a (related) idea I've had lying around:
>>  - Contact distribution maintainers to patch their glamor packages as
>> far back as possible.
>> Having a mesa-maintainers ML or alike might help, they are likely to
>> miss this in mesa-dev, plus pinging individuals does not scale.
>>  - Decide on transition period, where we'll have a) the patch reverted
>> or b) a glamor hack in place.
>>  - Transition period is over - patch is back in/hack is out.
>>
>> The communication medium can be used to get the maintainers attention
>> to other topics that directly concern them. They could also voice
>> their like/dislike towards X and Y.
>
> This could be with the mesa release announcement with a link to the xorg
> patch?

There's a few of downsides of this approach:
- Mentioning it in the release announcement tend to be 'too late'.
- Not (m)any maintainers read those, unfortunately. Although same can
be said for mesa-maintainers or any other solution.
- Last but not least, it feels like maintainers prefer to resolve
things on their own, imho.

Having a place where they can coordinate/discuss issues that affect
them all, sounds beneficial. Not to mention that there's been cases
where in-development we'd appreciate the input of maintainers. Sadly
we rarely get any as it's almost impossible to to filter out from the
rest of mesa-dev due to the high-volume.

Do I take it that you're not keen on the idea and you don't plan on
participating ? The other people that I've contacted over IRC (sadly I
did not hear anything from you) was benefit in the idea.

Thanks
Emil