[Mesa-dev] Delayed rendering in st/vdpau

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Mon Oct 24 09:20:47 UTC 2016

Hi Thomas,

that's just an optimization. DRI2 can't send buffers allocated by the
client to the X server for displaying, e.g. all allocations must be done
by X.

So in the simple case of just rendering directly into the output buffer
without any advanced filters I just delayed the rendering until we got
the real displayable buffer from the X server and rendered directly into
that one.

This saves us an extra copy of the video frames and so quite a bit of
memory bandwith.

It's not necessary any more with DRI3, so we are on the verge of
removing that.

Regards,
Christian.