[Mesa-dev] [RFC] precursor patches to trying to merge radv

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 07:44:06 UTC 2016

On 5 September 2016 at 16:41, Nicolai Hähnle <nhaehnle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05.09.2016 03:03, Dave Airlie wrote:
>>
>> So currently out-of-tree radv, reuses addrlib (by copying the all
>> the files), and at least wants to share the register and family
>> header files.
>>
>> This is a set of patches to just move those into a shared directory,
>> in advance of proposing that radv goes into mainline at all.
>

> I'm in favor. There's a lot more code that should be shared: parts of
> winsys, a lot of the shader code (even with the TGSI-vs-NIR difference), IB
> dumping, common state setting. What's your plan for those?

I think we can work those things out easier in-tree than out most likely.

I suspect the next thing to tackle after this might be the winsys, and
maybe some of the debug features.

I'm not really sure how much of the state setting (apart from init states)
we'd get to sharing, without introducing CPU overheads in the vulkan driver
that we don't probably want to introduce.

Shader code also has lot of extra features in radeonsi that we wouldn't
need in vulkan, esp all the split compile stuff, but we could probably share
some of the loading etc. Also with SPIR-V on OpenGL becoming a thing,
I'd think we possibly want to start considering using NIR instead of TGSI
(and yes I understand the number of painful scenarios).

Dave.