[Mesa-dev] software implementation of vulkan for gsoc/evoc

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 05:24:02 UTC 2017

by tiled renderer, I meant that I would split the render target into small
pieces, then, for each triangle, decide which pieces contains the triangle
and add that triangle to per-piece render lists. afterwards, I'd use the
constructed render lists and render all the parts of triangles in a piece,
then go to the next piece. Obviously, I'd use multiple threads that are all
rendering their separate pieces simultaneously. I'm not sure if you'd be
able to use the whole-function-vectorization pass with gallium3d, you'd
need to translate the shader to llvm ir and back. the
whole-function-vectorization pass would still output scalar code for
statically uniform values, llvm (as of 3.9.1) doesn't have a pass to
devectorize vectors where all elements are identical.
Jacob Lifshay

On Feb 11, 2017 11:11, "Roland Scheidegger" <sroland at vmware.com> wrote:

Am 11.02.2017 um 00:03 schrieb Jacob Lifshay:
> I would like to write a software implementation of Vulkan for inclusion
> in mesa3d. I wanted to use a tiled renderer coupled with llvm and either
> write or use a whole-function-vectorization pass. Would anyone be
> willing to mentor me for this project? I would probably only need help
> getting it committed, and would be able to do the rest with minimal help.
> Jacob Lifshay

This sounds like a potentially interesting project, though I don't have
much of an idea if it's feasible as gsoc.
By "using a tiled renderer" do you mean you want to "borrow" that,
presumably from either llvmpipe or openswr?
The whole-function-vectorization idea for shader execution looks
reasonable to me, just not sure if it will deliver good results. I guess
it would be nice if that could sort of be used as a replacement for the
current gallivm cpu shader execution implementation (used by both
llvmpipe and openswr).

Roland