[Mesa-dev] GitLab personal repos

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 18:08:06 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-06-02 at 13:10 -0400, Rob Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> >  1) Forks share objects behind the user's back so it should use
> > significantly less space on the GitLab server if everyone's personal mesa
> > repo is an actual GitLab fork and not a bare repo that they pushed.

It'd be cool if gitlab could figure out object sharing without this,
but I totally understand why that's hard.

> kinda on the topic, but not directly related to mesa.. at least a few
> of us have private kernel trees on p.fd.o, and kernel git trees are
> *much* bigger.  Will there be (or is there already) a gitlab kernel
> tree that we could recreate our private kernel trees from, to share
> objects?
>
> I guess since it is mostly stuff that feeds into drm-next, maybe
> Dave's drm-next tree should move to gitlab, and then others fork off
> of that?

A fresh clone's linux/.git is about 2.3G at the moment. That's probably
not a huge burden in terms of just storage, but might be bad in terms
of I/O (since identical data competing for page cache is silly), so
having a standard kernel tree mirror does sound wise.

- ajax