[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Kai Wasserbäch kai at dev.carbon-project.org
Sat Nov 17 17:15:20 UTC 2018

Hey Dylan,
Dylan Baker wrote on 17.11.18 05:04:
> Quoting Dylan Baker (2018-09-17 09:44:07)
>> I feel like for !windows meson is in good enough shape at this point that we
>> can start having the discussion about deleting the autotools build. So, is there
>> anything left that autotools can do that meson cannot (that we actually want to
>> implement)? And, what is a reasonable time-table to remove the autotools build?
>> I think we could reasonably remove it as soon as 18.3 if others felt confident
>> that it would work for them.
>>
>> Dylan
>
> Okay, time for an update on things and a chance to talk about what else we need.
>
> Support for llvm-config (and any binary, actually) overriding has landed in
> meson, and will be present in the 0.49.0 release, which is due out December 9th.
> support for ICC has improved a great deal already, and I have a series here:
> https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/pull/4359 (which may unfortunately not
> land until after 0.49) which should get ICC into pretty good shape on Linux and
> Mac, including actually checking that arguments are understood (which should
> allow us to drop the prefix test from SWR). I have some ideas on how we might
> remove auto options, some of them can already use meson's "feature"
> https://mesonbuild.com/Build-options.html#features option (which should make
> distro packagers happy too), for arch and OS specific options I have some ideas
> and I'll continue following up with those upstream.
>
> For those interested in llvm-config overriding, with meson out of git you can
> add a files like:
>
> $ cat ~/.local/share/meson/native/llvm-6.0
> [binaries]
> llvm-conifg = '/usr/local/lib/llvm-6/bin/llvm-config'
>
> and invoke meson with:
> meson builddir --native-file llvm-6.0
>
> which will configure with the specified llvm-config, and remember the
> llvm-config used on subsequent reconfigurations. You can override all binaries
> from a native file as well, so if you want to use a specific python3 or
> compiler you can do that, and you can load multiple native files in a single
> invocation.

do I understand that correctly as "there is no way to set this on the command
line"? Ie. something like
  meson --override-native="llvm-config=/usr/local/lib/llvm-6/bin/llvm-config"
or something similar? I need to have a file in $XDG_DATA_HOME/meson/native? That
would be really ugly for (automatic) package build environments IMHO, especially
if you want to have reproducible builds. Could these files at least be put in
eg. the debian directory of a source package and then I could pass some option
to meson to look there for these overrides?

Cheers,
Kai