[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Gert Wollny gw.fossdev at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 10:56:00 UTC 2018

Am Freitag, den 16.11.2018, 20:04 -0800 schrieb Dylan Baker:

> Is there anything else we're missing in meson to be able to drop
> autotools?

One thing that I notes is that it seems to be impossible to run the
test suite for just one subdirectory because the only way to run the
build is from the binary root directory. With autotools, when I do some
work on a sub-module (like I did with mesa/st) I can just go there and
run make check on the few tests that are there where I actually change
code, with meson/ninja this doesn't seem to be possible and I have to
either run the  full test suite, or run the test executables manually.

One workaround I found on stack overflow [1] would be to give the
test suites in these subdirectories different names so that one can
then run e.g. 'ninja test.mesa.st' (the example there is using cmake as
a basis to create the build.ninja file though).

Another think I noted  - and I'm not sure  whether this is a feature or
a bug - is that if CFLAG or CXXFLAGS are set in the environment, then
it seems that the flags that should be added by the buildtype are
ignored (Usually it turns out that -DDEBUG is missing, even though I
selected debug or debugoptimized as build type).

Best,
Gert

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28636295/ninja-equivalent-of-makes-
build-from-this-directory-down-feature-with-cmake