[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:36:41 UTC 2018

On 18 September 2018 at 20:16, Gert Wollny <gert.wollny at collabora.com> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 17.09.2018, 17:07 -0400 schrieb Marek Olšák:
>> I don't see radeonsi_dri.so. How/where is radeonsi_dri.so created?
> +1
>
> With autotools I can use an uninstalled but compiled version of meson
> (e.g. for testing) by pointing LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
> to the $BUILDDIR/lib and $BUILDDIR/lib/gallium respectively.  With
> meson it seems one always needs to run "ninja install" to get the
> actual drivers and libraries somewhere.
>
> It would be nice if meson would act like autotools in that regard by
> creating the drivers and libraries in specific directories (also as a
> configure option if there is concern about compilation speed).

This, please.

When we proposed nuking that from autotools there was some _very_
heated discussion.
It wasn't an issue about relinking, but compat with workflows for
dozens (if not a hundred) of developers.

Mildly related: when using meson, make that you have patchelf or similar tool.
It nukes the RPATH, removing the need to relink the binaries [as it
happens on make install].

Perhaps meson should error out when that's missing?

-Emil