[Mesa-dev] Thoughts after hitting 100 merge requests?

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Fri Jan 11 17:05:21 UTC 2019

I'm putting my own thoughts in a reply for some reason.  Here's what I've
seen.

 1. I really like GitLab "discussions".  It provides a very good way for
both the author and the reviewers to keep track of what review comments
have been dealt with and what comments are still outstanding.

 2. GitLab is currently missing a good way to comment on commit messages
which makes giving review tags rather painful.  There is a GitLab issue
opened about this: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/38602

 3. GitLab has a bug regarding per-commit comments where they tend to get
lost while you're looking at the commit itself:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/53175

 4. At least two of those merge requests were small bug fixes by brand new
contributors who I've never seen on the mailing list.

 5. There's no way with gitlab for Reviewed-by tags to get automatically
applied as part of the merging process.  This makes merging a bit more
manual than it needs to be but is really no worse than it was before.

Ok, there you have my thoughts.  I'd be happy to hear others.

--Jason