[Mesa-dev] mirroring ogl-sample source code in gitlab?

Erik Faye-Lund erik.faye-lund at collabora.com
Tue Jun 11 09:13:49 UTC 2019

While looking into dead-links on our website, I noticed that the OpenGL
Sample Implementation that SGI open sourced lacks a proper public
mirror. So I'm looking to fix this.

The tarballs are currently available from here:
http://www.servu.org/mirror/old/mirrors.bufferoverflow.xyz/oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/download/

Additionally, Jeff Muizelaar of Mozilla provides a github-mirror here:
https://github.com/jrmuizel/ogl-sample

I downloaded the tarballs from servu.org, and imported them to a git-
repo here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/kusma/ogl-sample

I've verified that the trees are identical to those of Jeff Muizelaar.
But unlike his mirror, I've made sure the commits have time-stamps that
match the time-stamp of the arcives, as well as attributing the
authorship to SGI (using "Silicon Graphics International Corp <
ogl-sample at oss.sgi.com>" as the git author).

The code is all licensed under SGI's FreeB license, which is the same
license as is used for the GLX code we have in Mesa. It should be fine
to redistribute like this as far as I can tell.

Now, I would prefer not to host this under my own user, as this isn't
really related to me other than me doing the actual archive.

So here's the question: How does people feel about hosting this under
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/ogl-sample/? If people are OK with
this, I will make that happen, and send out a patch to update the link
we have in our FAQ once that's done.

I would further propose we mark the repo as archived, which would
clearly mark that we're not maintaining it and also prevent it from
appearing in searches.