[Mesa-dev] [Intel-gfx] gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Eero Tamminen eero.t.tamminen at intel.com
Fri Feb 28 09:20:34 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 28.2.2020 10.48, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> Yes, we could federate everything back out so everyone runs their own
>> builds and executes those. Tinderbox did something really similar to
>> that IIRC; not sure if Buildbot does as well. Probably rules out
>> pre-merge testing, mind.
>
> Why? does gitlab not support the model? having builds done in parallel
> on runners closer to the test runners seems like it should be a thing.
> I guess artifact transfer would cost less then as a result.

Do container images being tested currently include sources, build
dependencies or intermediate build results in addition to the installed
binaries?

Note: with e.g. Docker, removing those after build step doesn't reduce
image size.

You need either to do the removal in the same step, like this:
RUN git clone --branch ${TAG_LIBDRM} --depth 1 \
     https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm.git && \
     cd drm  &&  mkdir build  &&  cd build  && \
     meson --prefix=${INSTALL_DIR} --libdir ${LIB_DIR} \
       -Dcairo-tests=false ../  && \
     ninja  &&  ninja install  && \
     cd ../..  &&  rm -r drm

Or use multi-stage container where the final stage installs just
the run-time dependencies, and copies the final (potentially stripped)
installed binaries from the build stage.

	- Eero