[Mesa-users] License issue

Vlad Stamate vlad.stamate at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 11:13:00 PDT 2010

Hi all,

My company is looking at using Mesa3D (linking against the library) as
a viable software OpenGL-like library (as a software rasteriser) for
rendering instead of using GDI directly (we are targeting the Windows
platform only). I have a few questions about the licensing part of
Mesa3D. According to the website the core Mesa is covered under a MIT
license but the drivers are all licensed individually. Looking in the
gdi folder only one file has a license mentioned at the top: wgl.c.
The other files in the folder lack that. While I can infer that LGPL
is being used, our legal department wants more evidence.

So, my questions are:

a) What is the license for the gdi driver: LGPL, MIT or something else?
b) If we are only planning to link against and use Mesa3D as a library
on Windows PCs, do we need other components than core and the gdi
driver?

A pointer to where I can find more information about this would be good too.

Kind regards,
Vlad.