[Mesa-users] Internal hardware usage question

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri Oct 15 03:15:34 PDT 2010

Tom

Thanks for the reply. I was a bit depressed by the answer so refrained from further questions until I had lookup up Gallium3D and the rest.

I'm still no wiser unfortunately. I take your point of sticking to GLSL, I'm working on the assumption that future supercomputers will indeed all have GPUs stacked up to the nines. But if they don't have hardware acceleration of OpenGL, what's the point of using GLSL - mesa doesn't cope with it (please tell me I'm wrong and new versions work fine), and if it did, mesa isn't parallelized anyway or make use of the accelerators. I had hoped that using OpenCL and the OpenCL/OpenGL interop would offer a way of keeping the best bits of OpenGL that can't be replaced, and making use of latest developments for OpenCL to do highly parallelized extra stuff. CUDA is an option of course, but we'll have AMD processors too.

I secretly hoped that the OpenGL API could be somehow mapped directly onto OpenCL calls (after all, the GPU hardware inspired it all) - that way we could keep the best of both (?) worlds.

JB