[Mesa-users] Unable to build Mesa 7.9 on Windows

Karl Schultz karl.w.schultz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 09:48:04 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Frederic Claux <
frederic.claux at global-vision-systems.com> wrote:

> 2010/10/24 Frederic Claux <frederic.claux at global-vision-systems.com>
>
> 2010/10/24 Chia-I Wu <olvaffe at gmail.com>
>>
>>> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Frederic Claux <fclaux.gvs at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:I don't know if there is a
>>> suggested way, but I use SCons to build mesa on Windows myself
>>>
>>>  http://www.mesa3d.org/install.html#scons
>>>

>> Isn't there a location where I can get precompiled mesa 7.9 binaries?
>>
>> There really are multiple problems when trying to build with Visual
>> Studio.
>> I tried to use SCons on Windows, but I'm not going very far with it:
>>
>> 1) I installed Python 3.1.2
>> 2) then SCons (which detected C:\Python31 installation directory)
>> 3) I added C:\Python31 and C:\Python31\Scripts to my system path
>> 4) From the Mesa-7.9 directory, I opened a command prompt and issued:
>>
>> scons debug=yes statetrackers=mesa drivers=llvmpipe winsys=gdi dri=false
>>
>> I get the following python error right away:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
>>   File
>> "c:\Python31\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.0.1\SCons\__init__.py",
>> line 43, in <module>
>>     import SCons.compat
>>   File
>> "c:\Python31\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.0.1\SCons\compat\__init__.py",
>> line 90, in <module>
>>     import _scons_builtins
>> ImportError: No module named _scons_builtins
>>

> Hi again,
>
> I got rid of Python 3.1 and SCons 2.0.1, and tried with the more common
> Python 2.7 and SCons 1.3.1, as Mesa might be happier with these versions.
>
> The error I get now is simple:
>
> No SConstruct file found.
>
> I guess there is a preliminary step, such as running configure - but
> configure is a shell file and I'm on Windows?
> What shall I do?
>
> Fred

The Visual Studio project files probably were not updated for Mesa 7.9.
They do/should work for Mesa 7.8.x.

If you really need to build Mesa 7.9 in Visual Studio, you can modify the
Visual Studio projects to get it building again.  The delta between 7.8 and
7.9 is pretty big, so it may take some effort to make these changes, but it
is doable.  The effort mainly consists of adding and removing files,
although for Mesa 7.8, I had to add a step to compile the shader compiler
and compile the pre-compiled shaders.  I have not been following Mesa 7.9
that carefully, so I cannot estimate the work needed this time.  There was
some talk about needing to generate more files at build time using Python
scripts, and that would make things harder.  I also can't say when I might
get around to updating the project files either.

SCons seems to be the preferred tool for building Mesa for Windows, probably
because another set of build files do not have to be maintained.  It also
uses the gallium softpipe and a better GDI driver.

I've tried to get Scons to work on Windows too, but ran into the same
problems you did.  It seems that we need better instructions for building
with Scons on Windows.

Note that there is another thread in this list about using the MinGW
crosscompiler toolchain on Linux.

The Mesa project doesn't distribute Windows binaries.

Given Scons, does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on trying to keep the
Visual Studio projects going for Mesa 7.9 and beyond?

Karl