[Mesa-users] X2300 problems

Zsolt Udvari udvzsolt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 22:21:57 PDT 2011

Hi all!

I'm new in this mailing list.
I've a question and would be nice when there is a solution.
So, my problem: I've a Sony Vaio laptop and it has an Ati X2300 card:
$ /sbin/lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon X2300

If I want 3D-support, I should use Mesa, because isn't supported by fglrx.

So. If I use kernel parameter "radeon.modeset=0", the 'glxinfo'
produces good FPS, but the games (3D games, I try TORCS and
supertuxkart) don't work well: the 'background' (e.g. the sky in
supertuxkart, maybe not background, instead the 'static part of
screen') is blinking, mix some pictures. I hope you can know about
what I'm talking :)
If I use 'radeon.modeset=1', first start of Xorg is 'bad' (slow). But
when I log out and gdm restarting, then well :) Almost well. Some time
the 3D things hang. After logout/login works well again.

Mesa version is 7.10.3, kernel version is 2.6.38.8. If you need any
other information, log, any other, I can send (of course).

Has anybody any suggestion?

Thanks!
  Zsolt