[Mesa-users] [Mesa-dev] Mesa 7.11 and osmesa

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Thu Oct 6 07:27:28 PDT 2011

On 10/04/2011 01:22 PM, Paul Gotzel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently upgraded to mesa 7.11 and I've noticed significant
> performance degradation when using osmesa.  Here's my results when
> comparing the versions:
>
> Version       Time
> 7.6.1            4s
> 7.10.3          16s
> 7.11             23s
>
> This is the time to render a single frame (including the initial
> program overhead).   Any thoughts?

I don't have time to investigate this in any depth.  One thing that
comes to mind is the software texturing code.  Most of the ubyte-based
texture sampling code was replaced by floating point so if you're
doing a lot of texture mapping, that could be a reason.

To learn more, someone would have to do a bisection.

What kind of rendering featurs are you using (plain shaded tris,
texturing, shaders, etc)?

> I'm not using the gallium
> framework.  Would enabling gallium help in some way?

LLVMpipe would almost certainly be a lot faster.  I've been meaning to
write a new OSMesa interface for gallium but haven't found the time.
That would be a valuable project for at least a few people.

-Brian