Understanding Modem Manager

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 11:03:25 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-19 at 09:12 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Marc Murphy <marcmltd at marcm.co.uk> writes:
>
> > For the Sierra I have the commands required and the MC8705 uses the AT interface on USB3 and the NMEA stream on USB2
>
> the ttyUSBx names are dynamically allocated, They will change if you
> e.g.  plug in two devices or reconfigure the modem to use a different
> set of ports.
>
> But Sierra use static USB interface numbers on many of their modems.
> For example: interface #7 is DirectIP - most of the time...  Maybe the
> NMEA port also has a static interface number?  At least for some of the
> Sierra devices.

That can change depending on the firmware configuration, unfortunately.
Older devices have AT!MXPORTMAP, AT!MAPUART, AT!NVMUXMODE, and AT!
NVENGPS.

For newer devices, you change the configuration with AT!UDUSBCOMP which
takes a single integer argument that selects a specific USB port
configuration from a set table of configurations.  AT!CUSTOM can be used
to enable/disable various ports from those configurations too.

Dan