[Huawei] NDISSTATQRY? instead of DHCP? to check successful connection

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at lanedo.com
Thu Jul 11 09:07:32 PDT 2013

On 11/07/13 17:01, Enrico Mioso wrote:
> Hi Aleksander, and all of you reading my message!
> A simple note - when I read tis message during the morning, I remembered my
> old good Huawei E173. I remembered ndisstatqry wasn't present when I checked
> last time, still I took it ouf ot my pcket and tried.
> The ati command reports:
> Manufacturer: huawei
> Model: E173
> Revision: 11.126.85.00.00
> IMEI: 8??
> +GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES
>
> And this device is one of those affected by the MAC-address problem: you should
> # ifconfig wwan0 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05
>
> before using them. This device is ndisdup-capable, and no problems with it.
> Still - it doesn't support ndisstatqry? but only DHCP? .
> So - am I misunderstanding something? Or some more checks might be needed?

The modems which should support NDISDUP properly, according to Huawei,
are the ones with one interface like this:
      bInterfaceClass         0x2
      bInterfaceSubClass      0x6
      bInterfaceProtocol      0x0
or
      bInterfaceClass         0x2
      bInterfaceSubClass      0xd
      bInterfaceProtocol      0x0

Your modem doesn't seem to have an interface like that one, so
ModemManager will not try to use NDISDUP and will fallback to PPP (so
not an issue that NDISSTATQRY isn't supported).

Now, you say NDISDUP is supported once the MAC address is changed. I
don't think we can support this right away... not sure how to handle that.