AT commands via MM

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at lanedo.com
Wed Nov 13 23:58:07 PST 2013

On 11/13/2013 12:18 PM, Martin Anderseck wrote:
> I'm busy with controlling/using ModemManager via Python and dbus. The nice
> thing is that ModemManager is started automatically as soon as it is
> required by some dbus action. Another nice thing is that it is even
> possible to send AT commands via dbus but only if ModemManager was started
> in debug mode. Starting ModemManager in debug mode, however, requires a
> manual start, doesn't it? Or is there any way to bring ModemManager into
> debug mode using dbus? I'm able to set the logging to "debug" but this is
> not the same.
> In debug mode MM doesn't go into background but displays its logging
> messages. Therefore I could imagine that it is not possible to switch from
> normal mode to debug mode, am I right? But why is there the limitation to
> only enable AT commands when MM is in debug mode? The output of the
> commands is returned via dbus or mmcli anyway, so having the debug
> messages in another console isn't necessary actually.

Not enabling the Command() method in the Modem interface when not in
--debug is mainly to prevent the user from playing with the AT port in a
manner which would be incompatible with MM's behaviour, and to avoid
users putting 'quirks' themselves where a proper fix would be to fix the
plugin in use. The AT command. The Command() interface is currently just
used for debugging purposes (e.g. when testing out new commands to
implement in plugins, so that there's no need to run them in minicom).
Do you have a use case where it would be useful to have it enabled?