cdc_ncm tagging of Huawei devices as wwan

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Nov 15 04:40:34 PST 2013

Hello,

I just stumbled across this thread:
  http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=148990
pointing to:
  http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/huawei-e355-als-kabelnetzwerk-einbinden-wwan0-/

and did a "git blame drivers/net/usb/cdc_ncm.c".  Which I wish I could
say refreshed my memory....

Anyway, It seems that Huawei also makes non-wwan NCM devices, and
tagging them all as wwan obviously creates real problems for real users.
What do we do about that?  Revert the vendor match and add the known
wwan devices one by one?  Or add another rule, with an exception from
the exception for the E355?

Any idea and/or advice is welcome.

(Note that this only affects Huawei devices using the standard NCM class
code)

Bjørn