Huawei E5776

Thomas Schäfer tschaefer at t-online.de
Wed Apr 16 12:46:46 PDT 2014

Am Mittwoch, 16. April 2014, 11:46:19 schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 13:52 +0100, George Hills wrote:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > Many thanks for getting backto me so quickly.
> >
> > On 15/04/14 12:53, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> > > I think, this is the way it should be done. The ModemManager should
> > > ignore this device completely and the NetworkManager should configure
> > > it like an LAN-device.
> >
> > That makes good sense to me.
> >
> > NetworkManager doesn't seem to want to manage this device.Do you think I
> > should ask the NetworkManager people?
>
> Sure, but we can talk about it here too :)  Many of the NM/MM developers
> are subscribed to both lists.
>
> If ModemManager claims the device, NetworkManager will ignore the
> ethernet interface until the modem is connected with ModemManager.  If
> the device doesn't actually require AT or other commands to start the
> connection, then ModemManager should probably just ignore it.

The behavior of this device is like the "hilink" mode. If you force it  the
modem-mode (maybe you are able to do it) you probably lose the connection of
the WLAN-clients.

> The second problem is that the device is tagged WWAN in the huawei
> cdc_ncm kernel driver but doesn't acutally require AT/MBIM/etc commands
> for the data connection to work.  NetworkManager treats and WWAN-tagged
> device as requiring ModemManager handling (because that's what the WWAN
> tag means) and won't treat it as a normal ethernet interface.

For that device this makes no sense - connection is automatically set  or
configured vie web-interface.

> So the basic issue is that somehow, huawei_cdc_ncm needs to distinguish
> between these devices, and only tag devices that require AT/MBIM/QMI/etc
> control as WWAN.  Then NM will treat it as a normal ethernet interface.

That is the problem, that should be solved. But I don't know how.

Thomas