Huawei E5776

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Apr 17 09:19:35 PDT 2014

On 16 April 2014 21:46:46 CEST, "Thomas Schäfer" <tschaefer at t-online.de> wrote:
>Am Mittwoch, 16. April 2014, 11:46:19 schrieb Dan Williams:
>>
>> So the basic issue is that somehow, huawei_cdc_ncm needs to
>distinguish
>> between these devices, and only tag devices that require
>AT/MBIM/QMI/etc
>> control as WWAN.  Then NM will treat it as a normal ethernet
>interface.
>
>That is the problem, that should be solved. But I don't know how.

Yes, this is not going to be easy. AFAICS, both the device id and also the class codes(?) are used by other devices which really are wwan devices.

So unless I've missed something here, I don't think we can make the driver fix this. Userspace will just have to deal with it somehow. I guess the last resort will be asking the user? Unless it's possible to do a dhcp probe? This might be useful for other "hostless" modems as well.

I don't think it's possible to ever get the wwan device type 100% correct. There is a certain amount of guessing in there.

Bjørn