E1750 Reloaded - QMI - STATIC - DHCP - IPv4

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Aug 5 09:08:13 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
>> One step forward, two steps back? :)
>> Via the "MM_BEARER_IP_METHOD_STATIC" connection cannot be established.
>>
>> Via the "MM_BEARER_IP_METHOD_DHCP" connection is very much possible, even without nmcli,
>> e.g.
>> # mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect="apn=<APN>,user=<USER>,password=<PASSWD>"
>> # dhclient wwan0
>> And that's it!
>>
>> Maybe the "MM_BEARER_IP_METHOD_STATIC" we could call the "MM_BEARER_IP_METHOD_CANNOT". :)
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/tree/src/mm-bearer-mbim.c#n349
>> Besides, unlike the 'mm-bearer-qmi.c', the 'mm-bearer-mbim.c' didn't lose the "MM_BEARER_IP_METHOD_DHCP".
>> Yet. :)
>
> Can we get a debug trace from ModemManager (eg, --debug) that shows the
> reply to the IP request message?  I'm really curious what the reply
> messages look like.

Yes please; debug logs... we really need to see whether the returned
reply doesn't contain a basic set of IPv4 settings, and if that's the
case fallback to DHCP.

You should understand that we don't want to break things just for the
sake of breaking them :) Using static IPv4 config will let us skip the
DHCP phase during the connection setup in NM and directly apply the
config we got, so it really is some simplification. The fact that we
used to use DHCP by default before wasn't because DHCP was better, it
was just because it was easier for me when I wrote it to just say 'and
now run DHCP in this port' instead of implementing the IPv4 config
retrieval :)