Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE - can't connect

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Aug 5 23:58:53 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:17 AM, Krzysztof Klimonda
<kklimonda at syntaxhighlighted.com> wrote:
>   I'm having a problem trying to the aforementioned modem to work
> under Linux. I'm currently running Debian sid, libmbim 1.10.0,
> ModemManager from git master, Kernel 3.16-rc6.
>   First, when I booted the system the wwan0 interface wasn't created
> at all, only after loading cdc_ncm with prefer_mbim=Y did it show up.
>   However, trying to connect to the network failed. running mmcli -m 0
> --simple-connect=apn=www.plusgsm.pl fails with an "error: couldn't
> connect the modem:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libmbim.Error.Status.Failure:
> Failure'"message. it works fine with the same SIM card and an external
> USB modem though.
>   I've attached a debug log from ModemManager that is being generated
> when I run that command.
> Any ideas how to debug it further?

The returned error is pretty generic:

I checked the mobile-broadband-provider-info database and see that
this "www.plusgsm.pl" APN should also use authentication with username
"plusgsm" and password "plusgsm". Could you try that?

$ mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect="apn=www.plusgsm.pl,user=plusgsm,password=plusgsm"