How to do mobile broadband from command line

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Mar 14 03:42:18 PDT 2014

Hey Yegor,

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Yegor Yefremov
<yegorslists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have some questions regarding NetworkManager<->ModemManager integration.
>
> 1. how do I create a connection in nm, that is later referenced by its
> id in "nmcli connection up"? I saw examples with "edit" command but nm
> 0.9.8.8 says: Error: 'con' command 'edit' is not valid.

Try using nm-connection-editor (GTK+ based UI app). Don't know in
which version the nmcli support for editing connections was added.
Dan?

> 2. nm invokes daemon() to detach from console, i,e. become a daemon in
> the start scripts. Is this functionality planned for mm? Or should one
> only use start-stop-daemon or alike?

Yeah, NetworkManager becomes a daemon by default unless --no-daemon is
used, ModemManager never becomes a daemon by default. You can likely
use start-stop-daemon for that if you want; or rely on DBus
auto-activation; or let systemd handle the lifecycle for you, whatever
you prefer. I don't think we'll add the daemonizing logic within MM,
truth be told, not sure how helpful will that be.