Sierra EM7305: MaxActivatedContexts

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Nov 7 03:19:33 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Florian Klink <flokli at flokli.de> wrote:
> I wasn't able to reproduce it so far. But something seems to be really
> borked with this modem. It currently only wants to connect to "EDGE
> (ETSI 27.007: "GSM w/EGPRS")" according to modem-manager-gui, although
> it's in an area with at least HSDPA, if not LTE (I have a SIM Card from
> the same operator in a smartphone directly nearby)...

Didn't know modem-manager-gui worked with 1.x already, good to know.

> It seems like setting the allowed modes in nm-connection-editor doesn't
> do anything, as `mmcli -m 12 --set-allowed-modes=ANY` says:
>> error: couldn't set current modes:
> 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.Unsupported:
> Setting allowed modes not supported'

The allowed modes settings in nm-connection-editor were for MM <=
0.6.x; MM 1.x doesn't respect those. The idea is that these settings
aren't part of the connection settings, but part of the modem settings
itself, and therefore they should really go to e.g. the device
settings in gnome-control-center or similar. See this blogpost for
more context:
http://sigquit.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/changing-modes-and-capabilities-in-modemmanager/

Anyway, MBIM doesn't actually support changing allowed modes :/

> I changed NetworkManager and ModemManagers unit files to log debug
> information, and will try to post a log of a new connection in an area
> with very good LTE coverage later today.

Ok, good.