Getting ICCID from locked qmi modem

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Nov 7 07:50:11 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Andreas Fett <andreas.fett at secunet.com> wrote:
> We are trying to identify sim cards to send stored pin information and
> unlock them via the ModemManager DBus interface.
>
> For some systems this works, but unfortunately ModemManger won't display any
> sim identification for a locked Gobi2000 based card.
>
> With the qmicli debug tool we can however read the ICCID from the card even
> when it is locked.
>
> Is this a Bug or just not implemented?
>
> Attached you will find output from mmcli, the corresponding ModemManager
> debug logs and from qmicli (same modem State but without ModemManager
> running).
>
> We use unmodified sources from the git repos ModemManger tag 1.4.0
> and libqmi tag 1.10.2

<warn> [1415360816.142083] [mm-base-sim.c:1428]
load_sim_identifier_ready(): couldn't load SIM identifier: 'QMI
operation failed: Cannot send message: QMI service 'dms' version '1.3'
required, got version '1.1''

Basically, the "UIM Get ICCID" message in libqmi is configured to be
available if DMS service >= 1.3, and you're using 1.1. But, it is
clearly wrong as you can run that message with qmicli... I just
updated that in libqmi so that it requests at least DMS 1.1:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libqmi/commit/?id=ce723135cabb20e79f23f93a885410762c73d3ef

Also pushed to the qmi-1-10 branch, the current stable.