GPS compatible modems.

Marc Murphy marcmltd at marcm.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 13:32:39 PST 2014

I am using a BeagleBlack based platform and when I use the AT commands for MC8705 I have no problem getting a fix just cant do anything with MM.

I think I am doing it right;

# mmcli -L

Found 1 modems:
        /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 [Sierra Wireless, Incorporated] MC8705

# mmcli -m 0 -e
successfully enabled the modem

# mmcli -m 0 --location-status

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
  ----------------------------
  Location | capabilities: '3gpp-lac-ci'
           |      enabled: '3gpp-lac-ci'
           |      signals: 'no'

# mmcli -m 0 --location-get

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
  -------------------------
  3GPP location   | Mobile country code: '234'
                  | Mobile network code: '30'
                  |  Location area code: '2089'
                  |             Cell ID: '27516'
  -------------------------
  GPS NMEA traces | Not available
  -------------------------
  Raw GPS         | Not available
  -------------------------
  CDMA BS         | Not available

I should be able to enable the NEMA as I can via AT and my own app.

> Hello All,
> I am really keen to use Modem Manager in my embedded platform because it's great for me to be able to swap out modems and still get a connection.
>
> What I really need is reliable GPS as well.  All the cards I currently use don't seem to be supported for GPS.  So I'm asking for anyone who uses a mini PCIe modem card with GPS to supply the manufacturer and model so I can get some for testing.
>
> I currently have;
> Sierra Wireless MC8705
> Sierra Wireless MC7710
> Huawei EM820W
>
> Even with using ModemManager 1.4 it can't use the GPS.
>
> Would love to get something reliable.

I have no real-life experiences with GPS cards (used only in my office and not outdoor), but I played a little with Sierra Wireless MC7304.
AFAIK it has GPS support for active GPS antennas as MC7710 did (dedicated connector). I find this an important feature, almost all other GSM cards offer support for passive antennas.

So far, when SIM card was present, I had no problems getting FIX either via AT commands or using the latest MM version. I've placed a metallic box to my windows and attached magnetic GPS antenna to it. I get coordinates in about one minute. Hardware: TI am335x based system.

Yegor