77-mm-usb-device-blacklist.rules - allow blacklisting various devices

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Sep 4 01:04:16 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Starting Modem Manager...
>> <info>  ModemManager (version 1.4.0-1.fc22) starting in system bus...
>> Started Modem Manager.
>> <warn>  Couldn't find support for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.1/usb1/1-4': not supported by any plugin
>> <warn>  Couldn't find support for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0a.0': not supported by any plugin
>> <info>  Creating modem with plugin 'Generic' and '1' ports
>> <info>  Modem for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/usb2/2-3' successfully created
>> <warn>  Modem couldn't be initialized: couldn't load current capabilities: Failed to determine modem capabilities.
>
> This is simply a ModemManager bug, not a blacklist issue.  USB ethernet
> adapters should work the same way that PCI ones do, where MM ignores
> them if they aren't paired with a control channel.  So we'll look into
> this bug and fix it.  Note that NM isn't actually touching the ethernet
> device at all, unlike TTY probing.

Ethernet ports, like WWAN ports, are only used whenever they are
paired with a TTY or some other control channel. If they are never
paired with such a control channel, they are always ignored (i.e. MM
doesn't try to create a Modem object out of it).

Those logs are not from ModemManager creating a Modem with 1 USB
ethernet port, I would say. Instead, there is likely a TTY around
(e.g. the USB 56k modem) that MM tries to probe but of course that
modem doesn't reply GSM or CDMA caps in AT+GCAP? (and therefore
"couldn't load current capabilities")