77-mm-usb-device-blacklist.rules - allow blacklisting various devices

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Sep 5 11:40:25 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 09:58 +0200, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Probably now you can fully understand why I proposed
> > +# Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc. USB Modem (TRENDnet TFM-561U 56K USB Modem)
> > +ATTRS{idVendor}=="0572", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1329", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
>
> Yeah; but I would keep those in a separate list, in case we end up
> working in the POTS modems some day.
>
> Dan what do you think?

If we do start blacklisting POTS modems, then we've got the problem of
what happens when somebody with POTS modems upgrades to a version of MM
that actually supports them.  We have three choices I think:

1) blacklist POTS modems now, and make POTS support opt-in via some kind
of configuration when we support it; we could encourage distros to put
the blacklist in a separate package that could be un-installed to get
POTS support.  I think this is probably the best option for now, it
makes sure that upgrades don't radically change how things work.

2) blacklist POTS modems now, and don't care about the upgrade issue in
the future; easiest thing to do but  not the nicest move if we ever get
POTS support

3) do as now and still probe POTS modems; this doesn't seem quite right
because we don't pretend to support POTS now

So TLDR; I think option #1 is the best for now.  Other thoughts?

Dan