SMS while offline

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Sep 17 02:11:40 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Vincent Bernat <bernat at luffy.cx> wrote:
>>> Bus 002 Device 008: ID 1199:a001 Sierra Wireless, Inc.
>>>
>>> With cdc_mbim from Linux 3.16 and ModemManager 1.2.0 from Debian.
>>>
>>> I am able to receive SMS while online without any problem.
>>>
>>> $ mmcli -m 5 --messaging-list-sms
>>>
>>> Found 2 SMS messages:
>>>         /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/1 (received)
>>>         /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/2 (received)
>>>
>>> However, if the SMS is sent while the modem is offline, I don't receive
>>> it once the modem becomes online. Is that expected?
>>
>> I'm going to assume that "offline" here means modem unplugged. In that
>> case the modem should receive the SMS when it's re-plugged and
>> re-connected to the network. Can you run ModemManager with debug logs
>> to see how MM tries to list the SMS messages?
>
> I just tried and ModemManager retrieves pending SMS. I'll investigate
> more once the problem arise again. It is not unusual for me to have to
> unload cdc_mbim module and reload it when resuming the laptop since I
> get a status of "sim-failed". Maybe the SMS notification is sent by the
> operator while ModemManager is not managing the modem?

SIM failed status... is that because you didn't get any MBIM message
processed after a suspend+resume? Can you check debug logs for that?
You're not the only one with an issue like that, but not sure if that
is because libmbim fails to handle the case (e.g. assumes device open
when it's closed) or because the device is failing somehow. I don't
see that issue with my Ericsson based MBIM modem in my laptop.