ptxdist-2013.12.0 + ModemManager + Cinterion PLS8 rel.1

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Aug 27 07:22:04 PDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Raul Suarez Moreno
<raul.suarez at blue-tc.com> wrote:
> We are trying to get an embedded device (equipped with Cinterion PLS8 rel.1
> radio module) working using ModemManager. The device runs a Linux 3.14
> configured using ptxdist-2013.12.0. We've been successful at adding the
> ModemManager module to the distribution (or we think so), we also added QMI
> drivers to the kernel.
>
> The situation now, device is alive, drivers seem to be correctly installed,
> "ls /dev" shows "ttyUSB0/1/2/3" and "cdc-wdm0" (among others) as recognized
> devices. "qmicli" is also working, "qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0
> --dms-get-manufacturer" command, for example, returns
>
>         [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Device manufacturer retrieved:
>         Manufacturer: 'QUALCOMM INCORPORATED'
>
> However, ModemManager seems not to being automatically started:
>
>         root at TQMa28:~ mmcli -S
>         error: couldn't find the ModemManager process in the bus
>
> And, if we manually start it:
>
>         root at TQMa28:~ mmcli -S
>         successfully requested to scan devices
>         root at TQMa28:~ mmcli -L
>         No modems were found
>
> ModemManager log during last commands execution is attached.
>
> Does anyone know why ModemManager is not being started automatically? And,
> why modem is not being detected? Maybe a plugins issue?
>
> Just in case, we are accessing the device via SSH, not serial communication.

Just installing ModemManager won't auto-start it, and mmcli explicitly
avoids autostarting it in most cases (e.g. when just checking status).

You need to configure yourself to start ModemManager on boot, or
otherwise setup a program which will auto-start it by requesting the
well-known DBus name.

Also, if you want to know why the modem wasn't properly detected, you
should run ModemManager with --debug to get debug logs.

Cheers!