Sierra Wireless EM7355

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 10:00:58 PST 2015

On Monday, January 12, 2015 11:54:00 AM Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-07-28 at 08:19 -0700, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:

> > > the correct one is?
> > >
> > > The newer modules can support multiple operator configurations.
> > > And possibly also multiple images? See the AT commands
> > > AT!GOBIIMPREF? and AT!PRIID? referred to in this discussion:
> > > https://forum.sierrawireless.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=8007
> > >
> > > If this is the issue, then maybe the mmcli "--firmware-list" and
> > > "--firmware-select=[Unique ID]" commands can help too?  I have no
> > > clue as I don't have any module supporting more than a single
> > > operator config AFAIK.
> > >

> > > Bjørn
> >
> > No problem at all. As long as y'all don't mind the slow responses
> > here, as much as I would like this to be my only priority, well I have
> > other things.
> >
> > So the modem is even more odd than all that I have implied. If, after
> > running the firmware update in windows, I warm reboot the system into
> > Fedora, the modem will work. However, it only works that once, the
> > firmware update needs to be run again in windows in order for the
> > modem to work under linux again, and again only that once.
> >
> > It doesn't appear that I have multiple firmwares:
> > sudo mmcli --firmware-list -m 0
> > error: modem has no firmware capabilities
> >
> > So if any of this rings any bells or brings up any ideas let me know.
> > Otherwise, I'll keep poking at it to see what I can see.
>
> Erinn,
>
> Any luck with this device in the past 6 months?  I think the issue may
> be due to rfkill/airplane-mode issues and the laptop this device is in.
> When the device doesn't work, use 'sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyUSBx' for
> each of the /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, etc until you find one that
> replies to the command "at!pcinfo?".  Then you'll get output that looks
> like this:
>
> State: 1 (ONLINE)
> LPM force flags - W_DISABLE:0, User:0, Temp:0, Volt:0
> W_DISABLE: 0
> Poweroff mode: 1
> LPM Persistent: 0
>
> except yours probably says "LOW_POWER_MODE" or something like that.
> What do you get?  If it says "BIOS:1" or "W_DISABLE:1" then that means
> rfkill is likely to blame, and the Linux kernel may not know how to
> drive rfkill on your laptop.
>
> Dan

No, not really. I have been following the conversation that has been going on
regarding this though. Interestingly my modem seems to be a bit more fickle
then the other fellows. I can't reliably warm boot from windows to linux and
have the modem work, it sometimes does, most of the time it doesn't.

There are no /dev/ttyUSB* files on my system so I can't really give you insight
there.

I can give this interesting little tidbit from dmesg:
thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_wwan_sw: radio is unblocked

But that may or may not have any bearing on this. I'll continue to follow
along and try to help out any way I can.

This is a Fedora 21 system now, I believe when this started I was running
Fedora 20.

-Erinn