Modem manager dies with "undefined symbol: mm_gdbus_modem_signal_skeleton_get_type"

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Mar 9 10:04:25 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Daniele Palmas <dnlplm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,

>> On Mon, 2015-03-09 at 17:11 +0100, Daniele Palmas wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I cloned the project from the git repository, built master and run the binary
>>> with root permissions.
>>>
>>> After having properly recognized the modem, ModemManager dies with the
>>> following message:
>>>
>>> ModemManager_bak[6292]: <info>  [1425914691.997399]
>>> [mm-device.c:520]mm_device_create_modem(): Creating modem with plugin
>>> 'Telit' and '6' ports
>>> /usr/local/sbin/ModemManager_bak: symbol lookup error:
>>> /usr/local/sbin/ModemManager_bak: undefined symbol:
>>> mm_gdbus_modem_signal_skeleton_get_type
>>
>> Could there be an older libmm-glib lying around somewhere that's getting
>> linked in, instead of the one from git master?  If you're building git
>> master, you'll need to make sure that both the plugins and libmm-glib
>> are installed in the right place on the system, since I'm not sure that
>> just running the libtool wrapper will always work...
>>

> Thanks for the hint. I will check and let you know.

If you compiled from git master without using a specific --prefix, the
installation would get everything under /usr/local. Or if you used a
prefix, the installation would get everything under that prefix. Just
make sure that when running the new ModemManager you also explicitly
specify where the new libmm-glib library is available, e.g.:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/sbin/ModemManager --debug

If you want to nuke any other previous system-installed library (at
your own risk) just use --prefix=/usr