Cellphone does not support GSM7?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Mon Mar 23 03:58:30 PDT 2015

Hey João

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Aleksander Morgado
<aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 2:03 AM, "João M. S. Silva"
> <joao.m.santos.silva at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/13/2015 08:20 PM, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
>>>
>>> Raw mode is not gsm7. Raw mode is 8bit mode. Text mode is either gsm7 or
>>> ucs2.
>>>
>>> I guess we can just un-escape the text in mmcli before sending it to MM,
>>> shouldnt be a big deal.
>>

>> OK. Is it something that I can workaround or help changing? The
>> corresponding code seems to be around:
>>
>>   mm-common-helpers.c line 1020?
>>
>> Or, going further down, it seems to be:
>>
>>   mm-sms-properties.c line 75?
>
> I'll write a patch next week and let you know.

I don't think there's nothing to be done in ModemManager; if the text
passed in the "text" variable given in --messaging-create-sms contains
a newline character (e.g. \n) then the SMS will be multiline. You just
need to make sure you correctly add the EOL character to the shell
variable.

$ read -r -d '' SMSTEXT << EOM
This is line 1.
This is line 2.
Line 3.
EOM

$ echo "$SMSTEXT"
This is line 1.
This is line 2.
Line 3.

$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-create-sms="text='$SMSTEXT',number='123456'"
Successfully created new SMS:
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/6 (unknown)

$ sudo mmcli -s 6
SMS '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/6'
  Content    |              number: '123456'
             |                text: 'This is line 1.
This is line 2.
Line 3.'
  Properties |            PDU type: 'submit'