ModemManager and pppd/NetworkManager integration

Francesco Andrisani francesco.andrisani at acotel.com
Mon Mar 30 05:43:00 PDT 2015

Hi,
thanks for you reply.
Unfortunately I can not use NM 1.0 and even compile. I tried to use the
commands that I've shared, but I get the following output:

# mmcli -m 0

/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 (device id
'f85b28e50e46a2052dfefb8238550fd2cbc4b88b')
  -------------------------
  Hardware |   manufacturer: 'SIMCOM_Ltd'
           |          model: 'SIMCOM_SIM900'
           |       revision: 'Revision:1137B01SIM900M64_ST_ENHANCE'
           |      supported: 'gsm-umts'
           |        current: 'gsm-umts'
           |   equipment id: 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
  -------------------------
  System   |         device:
'/sys/devices/platform/orion-ehci.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1'
           |        drivers: 'ftdi_sio'
           |         plugin: 'Generic'
           |   primary port: 'ttyUSB3'
           |          ports: 'ttyUSB3 (at)'
  -------------------------
  Numbers  |           own : '350xxxxxxx'
  -------------------------
  Status   |           lock: 'none'
           | unlock retries: 'unknown'
           |          state: 'connected'
           |    power state: 'on'
           |    access tech: 'unknown'
           | signal quality: '75' (cached)
  -------------------------
  Modes    |      supported: 'allowed: any; preferred: none'
           |        current: 'allowed: any; preferred: none'
  -------------------------
  Bands    |      supported: 'unknown'
           |        current: 'unknown'
           |   registration: 'roaming'
  -------------------------
  SIM      |           path: '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/0'

  -------------------------
  Bearers  |          paths: '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/1'

root at mauNone:~/NM# mmcli -b 1
Bearer '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/1'
  -------------------------
  Status             |   connected: 'yes'
                     |   suspended: 'no'
                     |   interface: 'ttyUSB3'
                     |  IP timeout: '20'
  -------------------------
  Properties         |         apn: 'foo.mycarrier.com'
                     |     roaming: 'allowed'
                     |     IP type: 'none'
                     |        user: 'none'
                     |    password: 'none'
                     |      number: 'none'
                     | Rm protocol: 'unknown'
  -------------------------
  IPv4 configuration |   method: 'ppp'
                     |  address: 'unknown'
                     |   prefix: '0'
                     |  gateway: 'unknown'
                     |      DNS: none
  -------------------------
  IPv6 configuration |   method: 'unknown'

....from here I can not go on
I don't understand when you say "*PPP: you'll need to launch pppd on the
specified TTY port.*".

Thanks and Best regards

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Aleksander Morgado <
aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Francesco Andrisani
> <francesco.andrisani at acotel.com> wrote:
> > i've successfully compiled the latest version of Modem Manager for my
> linux
> > arm device. I work only from command line because i use an embedded linux
> > device with Debian Squeeze (6) installed on.
> >
> > I'm able to send command to ModemManager using mmcli interface.
> > I'm also able to launch modem connection using command:
> >
> > mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect="apn=foo.mycarrier.com"
> >
> > So my question is how can i do to create ppp interface and using modem
> for
> > internet navigation? On my device i've installed NetworkManager version
> > 0.8.1 and it work great with repository version of ModemManager (v.
> 0.4.1).
>
> Well, obvious thing you could do is to try NetworkManager 1.x for example.
>
> If that is not an option, then you should check the "bearer IP
> settings" generated when you launched the connection:
>
> 1) List bearers in modem:
> $ mmcli -m 0 --list-bearers
>
> 2) Assuming you have bearer 0:
> $ mmcli -b 0
>
> You'll see there the IP settings to use, which can be:
>  * PPP: you'll need to launch pppd on the specified TTY port.
>  * Static: you'll need to set the provided IP settings on the
> specified NET port.
>  * Dynamic: you'll need to launch a DHCP client on the specified NET port.
>
> Some time ago I started a simple connection manager script that would
> do that for you, but didn't advance much. I'd be very interested in
> seeing such a script :)
>
> --
> Aleksander
> https://aleksander.es

*Francesco Andrisani*
mailto:francesco.andrisani at acotel.com
*Acotel Spa*
http://www.acotel.com
Via della Valle dei Fontanili, 29
00168 Roma
Tel +390661141200
Fax +39066149936

Le informazioni contenute nella comunicazione che precede possono essere
riservate e sono, comunque, destinate esclusivamente alla persona o
all’ente sopraindicati. La diffusione, distribuzione e/o copiatura non
autorizzata del documento trasmesso da parte di qualsiasi soggetto è
proibita. La sicurezza e la correttezza dei messaggi di posta elettronica
non possono essere garantite. Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per
errore, Vi preghiamo di contattarci immediatamente. Grazie.

confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any transmission. If you
receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies
of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the
sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. Thanks