SIM800?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Nov 24 12:32:32 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:54 PM, João M. S. Silva
<joao.m.santos.silva at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive me if I already asked this, but I've searched and I think I haven't:
>
> Does MM work with SIM800L?

It may work with the generic AT+PPP based implementation, but not sure
if anyone has tested it.

> Through serial port (ttyS4, for instance)?

If the modem provides a plain RS232 interface, you can connect it to a
physical serial port of the system, yes. BUT in this case, you need to
manually flag the specific TTY in udev with the
"ID_MM_PLATFORM_DRIVER_PROBE" property set to TRUE. Platform TTYs are
not probed by default.

> Through USB port (ttyUSB0, with serial-to-USB converter PL2303)?

You could also do this, if the modem provides a plain RS232 interface,
yes. In this case, the USB serial port adapter should be in a
"greylist" so that automatic probing ignores the TTY. You can request
a explicit manual scan, which will include the ports in the greylist,
with e.g. "mmcli --scan-modems".

> How do I know if ttyS4 ou ttyUSB0 use dbus?

Those TTYs will be plain TTYs. ModemManager will read from them as any
other serial port. The key point here is make ModemManager
automatically probe the TTY, which for RS232 is never automatic (in
order to avoid trying to probe non-modem devices like e.g. screen
readers for the visually impaired).