ModemManager kills gpsd socket

Brent Sink brent.sink at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 18:02:31 PDT 2015

Hello,

I have a Huawei mu609 mPCIe module that has GSM + GPS, and I'm using
ModemManager (and NetworkManager) to setup the connection to the network,
and gpsd to retrieve the GPS coordinates from the module.  This module
creates 5 serial ports (ttyUSB0 - ttyUSB4).  ttyUSB2 is used to send AT
commands, and ttyUSB3 is the output of the GPS data.  If I disable
ModemManager, I can get the GPS data from gpspipe and from a gpsd socket
that I have created.

However, when ModemManager is enabled, I no longer get any data from the
GPS.  It seems like it just resets the device and gets rid of any
configurations I made.  I realize that I can also get the GPS data inside
of ModemManager using --location-get-gps-nmea, but this has no connection
to my gpsd socket.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a way to still get data via a gpsd
socket while using ModemManager?  Let me know if you need the debug logs.
Thanks!
--
-brent