[MPRIS] [mpris] Plans for media library interfacing?

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sun Feb 5 01:59:16 PST 2012

On 04/02/12 18:39, Eren Inan Canpolat wrote:
> I wonder if the MPRIS project has any plans for defining a standard
> interface for controlling media libraries. This could include
> re-scanning media files that may have changed, editing metadata for
> the media files, file-name operations, etc.

I think most of us consider such a thing out-of-scope for MPRIS, from
what's been said in past discussions.  What would probably be better
would be a separate interface that interacted well with MPRIS.

> As a side question I would like to ask if there is any implementation
> of a media library that uses a client-server model? I haven't come
> across any.

There is the MediaServer2 interface
(http://live.gnome.org/Rygel/MediaServer2Spec), although that only
provides access to a media library, not management.

Note that there is potential for MPRIS track ids to refer to objects
that implement org.gnome.UPnP.MediaItem2, for example.

Alex

PS: the proper list is at freedesktop.org; the videolan one is
officially retired.