[MPRIS] MPRIS2 multi-instance bus name recommendation violates D-Bus spec

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal at videolan.org
Sun Apr 15 09:54:58 PDT 2012

Hi Eike,

On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 13:44 +0200, Eike Hein wrote:
> j-b pointed me to you with regard to asking for changes to the MPRIS
> spec :).

He did well :)
list cc'd

> I was upgrading the MPRIS support in Dragon's minimal little bundled
> video player from 1 to 2.1 the other day, and noticed that an example
> in the spec actually violates the D-Bus spec, namely the recommended
> bus names for additional player instances:
>
> " In the case where the media player allows multiple instances running
> simultaneously, each additional instance should request a unique bus
> name, adding a dot and a unique identifier (such as a UNIX process id)
> to its usual bus name. For example, this could be
>
>     * org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc.7389"
>
> Quoting the D-Bus spec:
>
> "Each element must only contain the ASCII characters "[A-Z][a-z][0-9]_"
> and must not begin with a digit."
>
> In other words, ".7389" is actually illegal, and QtDbus (or D-Bus,
> not sure) will reject it when trying to register. VLC may actually
> be hitting that problem too, because additional VLC instances don't
> show up on D-Bus.
>
> I ended up going with ".instance<pid>" for Dragon and recommend the
> spec be changed to use something similar.

The example and the suggestion to use a unix pid as a unique identifier
are wrong indeed, thanks for noticing.

I think we should release 2.2 with that change along with the other ones
pending (NoTrack and fullscreen)

Alex, I still don't have a fdo account, can you merge the patches
attached ? (they are also available as the the "2.2-fixes" branch at
git://git.mirsal.fr/mpris.git)

Best,

--
mirsal