[MPRIS] Has[Interface] properties on MediaPlayer2 interface

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Wed May 2 03:31:38 PDT 2012

When we added the Playlists interface, we decided not to add a
HasPlaylists property to the org.mpris.MediaPlayer2 interface (to match
the HasTrackList property) on the basis that such a property was just as
optional as the interface itself, and so one could just query a property
on the Playlists interface to see if it is there.

I think this was a mistake, the reason being that an obvious first thing
for a client to do upon connecting is to do GetAll on the properties of
the org.mpris.MediaPlayer2 and org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player interfaces.
  This immediately tells the client whether it's worth looking for the
TrackList interface, but not whether it's worth looking for the
Playlists interface.  If the property doesn't exist, the client can
assume its value to be false.

I'd like to add HasPlaylists to org.mpris.MediaPlayer2, and make a
policy of always adding such a property for new optional interfaces.

Alex