[MPRIS] User rating read-only

mirsal mirsal at mirsal.fr
Wed May 2 03:43:26 PDT 2012

Hello,

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 11:25 +0100, Alex Merry wrote:
> On 02/05/12 02:58, Charles Brière wrote:
> > Hi everybody, I'm new here so I don't know if this have been discussed
> > before, but here is the point.
> >
> >  From my understanding, metadatas are read-only, all of them. It would
> > be nice if userRating was read-write, here is why. When listening to
> > music, you might like to rate what you are currently listening to and
> > doing so in 2 clicks. That could be done from a Gnome3 extension for
> > example, a remote on your smartphone or anything else you might like to
> > imagine. So my question is why isn't it already this way ? Is it a
> > matter of consistency among metadata map ? If so could it be  elsewhere
> > out of that map ?
>
> I've been thinking that might not be a bad idea.  Perhaps some sort of
> updateMetadata method?  Together with an editableMetadataEntries
> property (since, for example, mpris:length is clearly not going to be
> editable, and the same may well be true of other things).
>
> method updateMetadata(in a{sv} updatedEntries)
>   - to delete an entry, send an invalid variant
>
> property as editableMetadataEntries
>   - list of metadata entry names that can be edited

Yes, writing metadata would be a nice addition and this is a sensible
way to do it.

However, rating a track might not be the same thing as simply replacing
the 'userRating' metadata entry (media players might want to mix manual
and algorithmic rating or have multiple sources of rating, see:
https://gitorious.org/xdg-specs/xdg-specs/blobs/master/specifications/FMPSpecs/specification.txt )

It might then be a good idea to handle rating separately, perhaps by
using specific a method for that purpose.

Best,

--
mirsal