[libnice] udp ttl on windows

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 02:44:41 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-10-27 at 13:00 +0100, Emanuele Bizzarri wrote:
> Hi,
> I moved on 0.1.8 so should be easy for you make the needed
> modifications.
> In my response I have also added all the steps needed to make this
> version compilable under windows and vc2010 (in addition to
> README.win32)

Thanks for the instructions, but I don’t have a copy of Visual Studio,
and I feel that if I try and replicate your changes to commit them to
master I will muck something up.

Would you be able to provide a git formatted patch of your changes to
the VS project please? I can then get that reviewed and committed so
everyone can benefit.

Though I have a few questions below…

> 5. replace all inline with __inline

Why is this necessary? What error do you get if you don’t do it? All the
uses of ‘inline’ in libnice have previously included glib.h, which
(through glib/gutils.h) redefines ‘inline’ as ‘__inline’ on Windows.

> 13.replace into stun_debug_bytes (debug.c):
> //char bytes[prefix_len + 2 + (len * 2) + 1];
> with:
> char bytes[1000];//ema
> and replace snprintf with _snprintf

I’ve attached a patch which should fix this problem properly. Can you
please test it and let me know if it works? If so, I’ll push it to
master. Thanks.

> Attached you can find log and wireshark.
>
> I can reproduce the problem.
> The point start from:
> ** (ewmcu_console.exe:4932): DEBUG: component_io_cb: 020EA018:
> received -2 valid messages with 0 bytes
>
> In my previous test, using the modified code I saw that the reason why
> the receive function returns -2 is:
> 10:08:45.063: ema g_socket_receive_message Error receiving message:
> The connection has been broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a
> failure while the operation was in progress.: 0
>
> If you set ttl=255, the problem disappears.

So from the log, it looks like you’re getting a decent amount of traffic
in before it fails, but I can’t see any useful information about the
timeout, so it must all be in the kernel rather than on the wire. :-(

I wonder if we should perhaps treat that error (Windows socket error
10052) as transient, and ignore it. If there is a real network problem,
the STUN timeouts will catch it.

Olivier, Youness, what do you think?

Philip