[Nouveau] Kernel module indispensable?

Stephane Marchesin marchesin at icps.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Aug 1 15:18:11 PDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I don't need 3D acceleration but I'm interested in the nouveau driver
> because I hope it'll be able to properly set the mode of my card: currently
> nv is unable to make my card display 1600x1200 via DVI (it works OK via VGA
> but the quality is bit less stunning).
>
> So I compiled and installed it, but now I encountered a problem: it seems
> that (contrary to both the nv and the nvidia drivers) the nouveau driver
> does not work at all without the corresponding kernel module.  Is that true?

The binary nvidia driver does require a kernel module as well.

> Is there some hope to drop this requirement?

Not really, actually we're moving towards a world where graphics
drivers for X.org depend on a kernel module. Nouvea is just a little
early here (for a change :).

>         Stefan "whose kernel says `-1 Unknown symbol in module' when trying
>                 to insert the new drm.ko module"

That should be troubleshoot. Usually dmesg mentions missing symbols
which in turn points at the real issue.

Stephane