[Nouveau] Question About The Steps

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Thu Jul 5 11:44:10 EEST 2007

People, when you reply, please drop nouveau@ from CC list, as this is
not Nouveau-specific.

My comments are mixed in the first quoted e-mail.

Thanks.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:35:24 +0800
"xiao dan" <xiaodanbox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir:
>      Thanks a lot for your reply.Here is the details:
>      1>The hardware we have now is the ATI Radeon 9000(For
>      1>students,money
> is the biggest problem).

Nouveau deals with Nvidia graphics. Proprietary Radeon drivers work a
little different and the radeon project uses different reverse
engineering tools. I do not know much about those.

>      2>The operating system we currently use is Redhat 9.0.

You do know this OS died in 2004 and even Fedora Legacy shut down early
this year?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

>      3>What exactly we want to do is to get the work mechanism of the
>      3>ATI
> driver from the binary codes under the OS.

What do you mean by this? Are you proposing to clean-room reverse
engineer (possibly disassemble) the proprietary driver, and write the
documentation for someone else, who will then write a driver?
There are legal issues involved, so please be very specific about what
you want to do, or are going to do. It may make the difference between
your contribution being a valuable benefit or completely useless for
the community.

You also said you are a graduate student. Is this supposed to be
related your scientific work, and how?

As far as I can tell, there already are (fully?) working open source
radeon drivers for 9000 cards.
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATI

I do not know much about the radeon development, but I'm sure you find
the people on dri-devel mailing list (CC'd here).
Perhaps The irregular Radeon Development Companion can provide you
more pointers: http://tirdc.livejournal.com/

--
Pekka "PQ" Paalanen
http://www.iki.fi/pq/