[Nouveau] Does Nouveau break the nVidia drivers?

Louise Hoffman louise.hoffman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 05:11:43 PDT 2007

> The dumps (renouveau[1] and kmmio[2]) are for the reverse engineering
> effort. They need the proprietary driver up and running. After all, there is
> little point in spying the Nouveau driver as it is open source. We want to
> know what the proprietary driver does, so we can guess how the card works.

I guess it was me that had it all wrong then =) I thought the dumps
were from the Nouveau drivers, and served as a "gdb" output or a kind
of "talkback", so you could see what went wrong on the different
graphics cards =)

> On the other hand, if you want to try the Nouveau driver, you need the
> kernel bits (DRM) and Xorg driver bits (DDX), and preferably not the Mesa
> bits (DRI) unless you want to try your luck with glxgears (I forget which
> card you have, nv4x cards have a chance). All these bits you get from the
> respective git repositories [3]. I do not know why people have recommended
> building a new kernel, that is usually not needed. The DRM bits are built
> out of kernel tree anyway, you just have to make sure the in-kernel drm.ko
> module is not used (if it is not a module but is built-in, then you need a
> new kernel).

It sounds so easy, but I am sure I will break something if I try now.

I will now try my luck to make a dump from my 6150 (C51 core) =)