[Nouveau] How Video Cards Work.

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Sat May 12 10:48:25 PDT 2007

On Sat, 12 May 2007 18:23:22 +0100
Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 07:37:06PM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> > I have started a page aimed to be an introduction to working with
> > (Nouveau) graphics from the driver side. I do not know what I am
> > missing and what is relevant, so I'd like to have comments or people
> > could improve the page themselves.
> >
> > http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/IntroductoryCourse
>
> A few months ago someone called Honza Havlicek was working on a wiki
> page to try and document the nVidia architecture, which he called
> "Developer Guidebook".  It's at:
>    http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/HonzaHavlicek
>
> I e-mailed Honza a few days ago to ask if he's still interested in
> hacking on nouveau, but no reply yet.

Yes, I thought about linking that, but since there are those notes "do
not read this", I did not.

> I also found this document recently:
>    http://rivatv.sourceforge.net/stuff/riva128.txt

I already linked to that.

> It's outdated, but the "Example: How to render a solid rectangle?"
> section makes a lot of sense.  Between Honza's description of the
> MMIO registers and the functional descriptions at the URL above, I
> think we could get to a point where we're able to explain how
> rendering works to someone sufficiently interested.  :)

I do not think I have yet time to start really reading and writing
documentation. To be honest, I have not read all the articles I
put a link to. This was just a quick idea from my side.

--
Pekka "PQ" Paalanen
http://www.iki.fi/pq/