[Nouveau] Interested in helping Nouveau

Branan Riley branan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:37:13 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I know there's a TODO page on the wiki, but it's kind of old (may),
and it doesn't really indicate priorities. So I thought I'd list my
skillset and interests here, and let those who are experienced with
nouveau development point me to a good place to start.

I'm currently running a P4 (presler) with a GeForce 6600. The family
gaming macine is being upgraded soon (hopefully before the end of the
month, it keeps getting put off). When that happens, I'll have a Core
2 Quad (Kentsfield), and I've bought myself a GeForce 8600 (though I
haven't set it up in my P4 system - waiting for the kentsfield).

I'm self-taught in OpenGL, mostly in the programmable area rather than
the old fixed-function pipeline. I can do FBOs, VBOs, and all three
shader types with a certain amount of skill, and I understand the
basics of instancing and transform feedback (though I've never used
them except in experiments).

I'm very interested in how low-level hardware programming works (I
wrote a bootloader that set up protected-mode and created a scrollable
text buffer, but never added enough to make it a real OS - got
absorbed in graphics stuff).

Ideally, I'd like to work on the lower-level stuff, if there are any
good "get my feet wet" sort of tasks there, and if those of you who
are familiar with the code are willing to put up with helping me
figure out how it all works. If not, I'd love to contribute by writing
OpenGL test cases, and by contributing MMIO traces and renouveau
dumps.

Branan